Abortion: Where Is America's Conscience?
The alarm sounded for all moderates, Republicans, conservatives, liberals, Democrats, Libertarians, and independents when the Senate decided to reject these two key bills full of common sense and care for humanity. Suddenly, some people awakened to the reality that late-term abortion for convenience (not health problems) is far from a political issue: It's a power grab and a cover-up for abuse, murder, and harm of both women and children. This is not a political issue. It's a moral one:
- Only seven countries allow late-term abortion for reasons of convenience (and not health-related issues). The United States along with Communist countries like China and North Korea allow elective abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy and that's absolutely heartbreaking.
- Abortion survivors include 143 reported by the CDC and 170 additional viable abortion survivors reported by the FRC.
- Fetal pain is not debatable -especially at a certain point in gestation. According to myriad resources for surgeons performing fetal surgery, fetal surgery requires analgesia. No analgesia would be needed if fetal patients were incapable of pain, responsive movement, etc.
- The reality is that saline abortion chemically burns the baby to death and forceps abortion kills the unborn child by tearing him apart. Abortion is heinous. Abortion must stop once and for all. Abortion is a violent procedure and not a peaceful option for mother or child. Frequently, mothers are misinformed, and minorities are targeted by the abortion industry, which garners immense revenue.
- Unborn babies are human beings. It helps to put faces and names to numbers. You can see pictures of abortion survivors: Melissa Ohden, Josiah Presley, Claire Culwell, Nik Hoot, and Gianna Jessen all survived abortion and they are speaking out. Their stories are miraculous and powerful. They are living voices for the babies who did not survive.
Abortion takes the life of an innocent child and harms the mother. In fact, it is under-reported that abortion threatens and actually takes women's lives. Pray for abortion to stop. Vote for leaders who defend life. Let's work hard to protect life and end abortion once and for all. And let's support leaders who take action to protect life. We are grateful for courageous pro-life leaders like U.S. Senators Chuck Grassley and Joni Ernst (from our home state of Iowa) and President Trump (who has done more for the cause than previous presidents). Please pray for them as they carry the torch in the fight for life. Americans must learn to make voting decisions not on verbiage, but on actions. Some people sound fantastic yet do horrific things. Others blunder over and over in their words and yet do amazing things. And then there are the ones who actually match their good words with good works. (They are very special leaders!) Please check the records instead of the commercial recordings. The lives of your fellow Americans depend on it. Until every American has a birthday, may we passionately continue to pray, vote, and speak out. Shared with God's love for every American,Stacie and Carrie
P.S. Please check out our new monthly feature of our nation's heroes. In each edition, we will feature a veteran of the month!
Unite the USA's Featured Veteran of the Month:
Brigadier General Charles McGee
Abortion Survivor Stories
This Month's Bible Verse
Action Points to Save Babies from Abortion
7. Contact your Congressmen and state legislators and urge them support anti-abortion legislation. Click here to find your state legislators. Click here to find contact information for your Congressmen.
8. Write letters to the editor. Make your voice heard about your pro-life position. Explain why abortion is wrong.
9. Vote for pro-life candidates. Research and support proven anti-abortion candidates. Help elect pro-life men and women to office.
10. Pray for our politicians and that Roe v. Wade will be repealed. Pray for the mothers whose hearts were broken by abortion. Pray for families whose tables are not as full as a result of abortion. Prayer is powerful!
11. Support ministries and organizations that are bravely fighting to stop abortion and to protect all life. Here are a few worthy pro-life groups worth your attention: National Right to Life, John Paul II Medical Research Institute, Embryo Adoption Services, Susan B. Anthony List, Alliance Defending Freedom, Priests for Life, And Then There Were None, and many more.
12. Remember that innocent, unborn children are depending on you to give them a voice. Cry out for the babies that never cry!
They Are Real: Meet Born-Alive Abortion Survivors
Gianna Jessen Gianna Jessen had been in her mother's womb for 7 months when her mother went to a Planned Parenthood, where she was told to have a late-term saline abortion. A saline abortion, also known as an instillation abortion, takes place as follows:
A saline solution (which includes substances such as saline, digoxin, potassium chloride, and prostaglandin) is injected into the mother's uterus and into the baby. The saline solution poisons the baby, burning him or her inside and out, and burning off the outer layer of his or her skin. The baby suffers in these conditions for over an hour until he or she dies, and the mother must deliver her dead child after about one day.
Gianna Jessen survived her mother's late-term, saline abortion.
She remained in the saline solution and was delivered alive in the abortion clinic. Thankfully, the abortionist at the clinic was not yet present, and Jessen was sent to the hospital.
Jessen was diagnosed with cerebral palsy due to the lack of oxygen during the abortion procedure. But, by age four, Jessen was walking with the assistance of a walker, leg braces, and her foster mother. Today, Jessen walks with only a small limp. She acts as a voice for the voiceless and hope for the hopeless through her pro-life activism.
"Death did not prevail over me... and I am so thankful!" Gianna Jessen proclaims.
Melissa Ohden's mother was a 19-year-old college student when she found out she was pregnant. Under the impression she was less than five months pregnant, Ohden's biological mother had a saline abortion. Ohden survived the abortion, and was found to be approximately seven months gestation.
Ohden was adopted, and grew up in a happy, loving family. At just 14 years of age, she would find out something that would forever change her: she survived an abortion procedure. This prompted Ohden to search for her biological parents, whom she has contacted and forgiven for attempting to abort her.
Today, Ohden is a well-known pro-life activist and the founder of the Abortion Survivors Network, which seeks to educate the public about failed abortions and survivors while providing emotional, mental, and spiritual support to abortion survivors. Today, ASN has reached over 210 abortion survivors.
"Something's wrong when women's empowerment is based on ending another human being's life," Melissa Ohden states.
Clare Culwell's birth-mother, Tonya Glasby, was 13 years old when she found out she was pregnant. Her parents pressured her into an abortion, and five months into her pregnancy, she chose abortion. However, the doctors did not know Tonya was pregnant with twins, and only aborted one of the babies. Culwell remained alive in her mother's womb.
After her abortion, Tonya continued to feel kicking; she realized she was still pregnant. She traveled to another state to have another abortion, but doctors deemed the procedure too risky.
Clare Culwell was born at seven months gestation with dislocated hips and club feet. Despite the obstacles she faced on account of the abortion, Culwell thrived from a young age. At age 20, Culwell began to look for her birth-mother, and found her at a friend's house. She shared memories of her childhood with her birth-mother, forgave her, and thanked her for sparing her life.
"This is what it looks like to survive an abortion. My hips were dislocated, I had club feet, and I was in body casts to correct what the abortion had done. But I still deserved to live," Claire Culwell explains.
Josiah Presley was born with a maimed left arm as a result of the abortion his birth-mother had. He was adopted by a loving family in the United States. He later found out that his birth-mother attempted to abort him, sparking some hatred in his heart for her. He was later able to grow in a relationship with the Lord, enabling him to forgive his birth mother for all that she did.
"What makes [preborn children] different from us besides the fact that they are innocent and can't defend themselves against these huge abortion bullies killing them," Josiah asks.
At just two years old, Hoot was given his first pair of prosthetic legs. After just a couple of weeks, he was walking around on his own. He developed a love for sports and played football, baseball, basketball, and today, is a wrestling star. He persevered through his disability.
Hoot ended his previous wrestling season with 24 wins - even without all of his limbs. Hoot serves as an inspiration to many of us; if he can accomplish so much, while missing limbs, there is no limit to what anyone can do, despite the obstacles they may face.
"There are some things I can't do, but I'll still try, I'll learn how to do it," Nik Hoot says.
Survivors of abortion are vital to the message of the pro-life movement: they prove that all life, born and preborn, must be respected. They affirm that all children deserve the right to live, and must be treated with the respect and dignity they deserve. We will never forget the 60 million children who have been lost to abortion and the 44 Senators who voted to allow children born after abortions to die.